Your health coverage may affect your income taxes.
- You’ll provide additional information when you file your 2017 federal income tax return in 2018
- You may have to complete one or two new federal tax forms
- You may have to get a health coverage exemption or pay a fee with your federal tax return
On this page:
- Information to help you fill out Forms 8965 and 8962
- Changes to Your Information
- How to Get Help with Your Taxes
- How to File an Extension
- 2018 Tax Tables
- 2017 Tax Tables
- 2016 Tax Tables
- 2015 Tax Tables
- 2014 Tax Tables
- Additional Links
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ):
Information to Help You Fill out Forms 8965 and 8962
Find the premium for the second lowest cost Silver plan (SLCSP) that applies to you for 2018. For 2018 tax tables, click here. You may need this when you fill out Form 8962 to determine your 2018 premium tax credit.
Also, please note that column B of the 1095-A form should be left blank if no Advance Premium Tax Credits (APTC) were received.
Find the premium for the lowest cost Bronze plan that was available to you for 2018. You may need this when you fill out Form 8965 to claim the exemption for coverage being unaffordable to you.
Changes to Your Information
Your 1095-A is based on the information you provided in your VHC application and the benefits you received in 2017.
Review your 1095-A carefully. If you think information on your Form 1095-A is not correct, call us toll-free at 1-855-899-9600.
Please note that if a change is made to your 2017 case after you receive this form, such as a change to your benefits or your payment status, we will send you an updated 1095-A form.
If you disagree with your updated 1095-A, you can download the Request for Reconsideration – IRS Form 1095-A Correction form, fill it out, and mail to:
Vermont Health Connect, 280 State Drive, Waterbury, VT 05671-8100
How to Get Help with Your Taxes
Many people can get free help to fill out their tax returns. Visit the IRS to learn more about getting help.
If you have questions about how to file your taxes using Form 1095-A, you can call the IRS Tax Help Line at 1-800-829-1040. The Tax Help Line is open Monday – Friday from 7am to 7pm.
If you need further help, you may contact the Office of the Health Care Advocate at 1-800-917-7787.
How to File an Extension
See the following links for information on:
- Filing a federal extension (IRS) - http://www.irs.gov/taxtopics/tc304.html
- Filing a state extension (VT Dept. of Taxes) - http://tax.vermont.gov/individuals/file-and-pay/request-extension
Read more about:
- What You Need to Know if You Get a Letter in the Mail from the IRS
- Questions and Answers about Health Care Information Forms for Individuals (link to IRS site)
- Income Reporting and APTC Repayment Limits
Individual Shared Responsibility Payment (link to healthcare.gov)
- Questions and Answers on the Federal Individual Shared Responsibility Payment (link to IRS site)
- Calculating the Federal Individual Shared Responsibility Provision (SRP) fee (link to IRS site)