Medicaid FAQ

How much does Medicaid and Dr. Dynasaur cost every month?

Medicaid coverage is free for adults with qualifying household incomes. On Medicaid, some health care, dental care, and prescriptions require a co-pay. Visit or call 1-800-250-8427 for details.

Dr. Dynasaur is free for pregnant people with qualifying household incomes. Visit or call 1-855-899-9600 for details.

Depending on household income, children under age 19 may have premiums of $0 - $60 per month for Dr. Dynasaur. Visit or call 1-855-899-9600 for details.


I have qualified for Medicaid. Will I receive a new health plan ID card?

If you’ve had a Green Mountain Care card in the past, you can still use that card. If you need a replacement card, you can request one by calling toll-free 1-855-899-9600.

Vermonters who have never had a Green Mountain Care card will be mailed one. In the meantime, doctors and other providers can confirm membership through Social Security numbers.

You can read more information about coverage by clicking on the “Member Handbook.”  


I was told that I no longer qualify for Medicaid for Children and Adults (MCA), but that I might qualify for Medicaid for the Aged, Blind and Disabled (MABD) if I fill out a 202-Med form.  Where can I find help filling out that form?

If you need help filling out the 202-Med, call Green Mountain Care at 1-800-250-8427 or the Senior HelpLine at 1-800-642-5119. For more information about how to get help, please review our reference guide on finding health coverage in Vermont.


How long can I stay on Medicaid?

If you are currently enrolled in Medicaid and are below 133% of the Federal Poverty Level (FPL), you will remain on Medicaid until your next review, unless you report a change in your income. Please report any change of circumstance to Vermont Health Connect within 10 days.


What income should I enter into the application?  
Your eligibility for income-based financial help is determined by your household’s Modified Adjusted Gross Income (MAGI). The Vermont Health Connect (VHC) application will ask you about various types of income and then calculate your MAGI for you.

Your household's MAGI will determine whether you are eligible for Medicaid for Children and Adults (MCA), Advance Premium Tax Credits (APTC), and/or cost-sharing reductions (CSR).


I am eligible for Medicaid; do I have to take my employer’s insurance coverage?
No, if you are eligible for Medicaid, you do not have to take your employer’s insurance. Alternatively, if you want to have both Medicaid and your employer's coverage, you may.


Can my Medicaid eligibility affect my immigration status?

It may. Read more about our Public Charge Rule.