If a student is offered health coverage through their college or university, can they still apply for coverage through Vermont Heath Connect?

Students who are Vermont state residents can choose to get coverage through Vermont Health Connect. However, they cannot get independent financial assistance if:

  • They are claimed as a dependent on another person’s tax return (usually the parents.)
  • They are enrolled in a college health plan that meets the standard for minimum essential coverage (MEC). Uninsured students can apply for financial help through Vermont Health Connect.


I am on my parent's health plan and I turn 26 years old this year. Can I stay on my parent's health plan after I turn 26?

Yes, you can stay on your health plan through the end of the year that includes your 26th birthday. There are two exceptions to this rule:

  • If your household changes plans after your 26th birthday and before the end of the calendar year, you will need to enroll separately. For more information about qualifying events, click here.
  • If you are a dependent and disabled, you can remain on your parent's health plan after age 26.


Can an 18-year-old enroll in Vermont Health Connect and receive subsidies, despite being claimed as a dependent on their parents’ taxes?

No. If a person is claimed as a dependent on somebody else’s taxes, they cannot enroll separately and receive financial help. However, a dependent can remain covered by their parents’ health plan through the year in which they turn 26. Dependent children who are disabled can remain on their parents' health plans as dependents after age 26.

An 18-year-old who is a Vermont state resident and cannot be claimed as a dependent on another person’s taxes can enroll in Vermont Health Connect and may be eligible to receive financial help.