Change Request FAQ


Last month I got a raise. Am I supposed to report this and, if so, how?
Yes, changes of income are one of several life changes that can impact the financial help that you receive, so it's very important to report. You can do so by phone at 1-855-899-9600 or by logging into your account and reporting your change online.


If my income changes mid-year, can my premium change or be adjusted mid-year?

Although the premium of your health plan will not change during the year, your amount of financial assistance could change. That means that you may have to pay more of your monthly premium than you used to. Don’t forget—you could have to pay back your premium assistance if you earned more money than you thought you would—so it’s important to report any changes of income to Vermont Health Connect as soon as possible.

If you are getting financial help, such as Advance Premium Tax Credits (APTC) and the income you report on your federal taxes is higher than the income you reported to Vermont Health Connect when you signed up for coverage, you may need to pay back some of your APTC when you file your income taxes. To avoid this, it’s important to report any changes in income or household composition to Vermont Health Connect promptly.

Medicaid beneficiaries should report any changes of circumstance to Vermont Health Connect within 10 days. Members who purchased a qualified health plan (QHP) through Vermont Health Connect should report changes of circumstance within 30 days.


I have recently added a family member to my health plan but haven’t yet received new ID cards. This person needs to see a doctor and fill a prescription. What should I do?

If you have recently added a member to your health plan and that person needs immediate care, please call us at 1-855-899-9600. We’ll work with your insurance carrier to ensure that your household member gets the care they need. We can often speed up these urgent cases and will do our best to make sure the health coverage is in place within 72 business hours.


What if my change will impact my amount due?

Please continue to pay your full invoice by the due date to ensure continued coverage. Any overpayments or underpayments will be credited to your account once your changes have been processed. If your update will result in a higher monthly premium, be prepared to pay a higher bill when your change is complete.


What types of life events can open a Special Enrollment Period?

There are a number of life events that can open a Special Enrollment Period (SEP). An SEP is a chance to enroll in a Vermont Health Connect plan, or change plans, outside of Open Enrollment. Some of the most common types of qualifying events include:

  • Losing your health insurance. This often occurs when people change jobs. Voluntary termination of COBRA coverage (for example—if you stop paying your bill) does not give you a SEP.
  • Getting married or divorced
  • Becoming pregnant
  • A change in income that impacts certain types of financial help you receive.