Consider the following tips for protecting your personal information.
- General Tips
- Calls from Vermont Health Connect and Insurance Carriers
- Calls from the Federal Government
- Reporting Suspected Fraud
- If applying online, look in the URL bar and make sure it starts with https://portal.healthconnect.vermont.gov or http://info.healthconnect.vermont.gov
- Vermont Health Connect has trained Assisters to help you at no cost to you. You should never be asked to pay for services or help filling out your application or enrolling in a plan.
- If you use an Assister, keep a record of the person’s name, who they work for, their telephone number, mailing address and email.
- Double check any information that is confusing or sounds suspicious.
- Don’t sign anything you don’t fully understand.
- Never give out your social security number, credit card or banking information to someone who calls or comes to your home uninvited, or to companies you didn’t contact, or in response to advertisements.
Calls from Vermont Health Connect and Insurance Carriers
Vermont Health Connect’s Customer Support Center helps customers make changes to their household size, income, and other account information. If you previously requested a change to your account or health plan, you might receive a call from a member of this new team to confirm your information. The caller might ask for your date of birth in order to confirm your identity before discussing private details of your account.
We understand that you might not want to give sensitive information to an unknown caller. You can offer to call them back toll-free at Vermont Health Connect's Customer Support Center – 1-855-899-9600.
Similarly, if you get a call claiming to be from another branch of Vermont Health Connect or an insurance carrier, you can call them back through an official, published number before giving personal information.
• Vermont Health Connect (Customer Support Center - M-F 8am-5pm): 1-855-899-9600
• Blue Cross Blue Shield of Vermont: 1-800-247-2583
• MVP Health Care: 1-844-865-0250
• Northeast Delta Dental: 1-800-537-1715
The only mailing addresses you should be given are:
• Vermont Health Connect, 280 State Drive, NOB 1, Waterbury, VT - 05671-1040 (applications and documentation)
• Vermont Health Connect, PO Box 2060, Omaha, NE 68103-2060 (payment)
Calls from the Federal Government
Because Vermont uses Vermont Health Connect rather than the federal Health Insurance Marketplace, Vermont Health Connect is responsible for confirming information submitted by its applicants. Vermont Health Connect users should not receive calls or letters directly from the federal government requesting personal information.
If you get a call from someone who says they’re from the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services (HHS), you can tell them that you are going to call them back at the federal Health Insurance Marketplace’s published number - 1-800-318-2596.
Reporting Suspected Fraud
To report fraud or wrongdoing, please call 1-800-250-8427.
If you suspect insurance fraud, contact the Vermont Department of Financial Regulation at 1-800-964-1784 or the Attorney General’s Consumer Assistance Program.
If you suspect identity theft, visit www.ftc.gov/idtheft or call the Federal Trade Commission at 1-202-326-2222.
If you suspect Medicaid fraud, please call the Program Integrity Unit at (802)241-9210, or use the form here.