Filing Taxes

Your health coverage may affect your income taxes.

  • You’ll provide additional information when you file your 2017 federal income tax return in 2018
  • You may have to complete one or two new federal tax forms
  • You may have to get a health coverage exemption or pay a fee with your federal tax return

On this page:

Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ):


Information to Help You Fill out Forms 8965 and 8962

Find the premium for the second lowest cost Silver plan (SLCSP) that applies to you for 2018. For 2018 tax tables, click here. You may need this when you fill out Form 8962 to determine your 2018 premium tax credit.

Also, please note that column B of the 1095-A form should be left blank if no Advance Premium Tax Credits (APTC) were received. 

Find the premium for the lowest cost Bronze plan that was available to you for 2018. You may need this when you fill out Form 8965 to claim the exemption for coverage being unaffordable to you.

Changes to Your Information

Your 1095-A is based on the information you provided in your VHC application and the benefits you received in 2017. 

Review your 1095-A carefully.  If you think information on your Form 1095-A is not correct, call us toll-free at 1-855-899-9600.

Please note that if a change is made to your 2017 case after you receive this form, such as a change to your benefits or your payment status, we will send you an updated 1095-A form.

If you disagree with your updated 1095-A, you can download the Request for Reconsideration – IRS Form 1095-A Correction form, fill it out, and mail  to: 
Vermont Health Connect, 280 State Drive, Waterbury, VT 05671-8100

How to Get Help with Your Taxes

Many people can get free help to fill out their tax returns.  Visit the IRS to learn more about getting help. 

If you have questions about how to file your taxes using Form 1095-A, you can call the IRS Tax Help Line at 1-800-829-1040.  The Tax Help Line is open Monday – Friday from 7am to 7pm. 

You can also visit or, or dial 2-1-1 anywhere in Vermont to find on-line, telephonic, or live help near you.

If you need further help, you may contact the Office of the Health Care Advocate at 1-800-917-7787.

How to File an Extension

See the following links for information on:

Read more about: