Skip to main content

An Official Vermont Government Website

Vermont State Logo

Important Message: Open Enrollment for 2022 health and dental plans is coming! Learn how the American Rescue Plan Act lowers health insurance for Vermonters. Find out when and how to apply.

Small Business FAQ

Who should I contact for details about group insurance plans?

Contact the insurance carriers directly to find out about group insurance plans and rates:

How do I know if my business qualifies to enroll employees in Vermont Health Connect qualified health plans?

In Vermont, if your business employs between one and 100 employees it may qualify to participate in Vermont Health Connect’s small business coverage. Information on how to count full-time and part-time employees is available through the IRS. To enroll in a small business plan, contact the insurance carriers: Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Vermont 1-800-255-4550 and MVP Health Care 1-844-865-0250 and Northeast Delta Dental (dental only) at 1-800-832-5700.

How do I know if my business is eligible to receive Small Business Tax Credits?

To learn more about the Small Business Tax Credit, and download eligibility forms, visit our Small Business Tax Credit page.

Can I provide my employees other benefits (HSAs, discount programs, stipends) if I choose not to enroll in Vermont Health Connect?

For information about other programs and benefits for your employees, please consult your tax advisor.  Other benefits may not qualify as health insurance.

What happens if my business decides not to offer health coverage to my employees?

Depending on the size of your business, there may be state or federal requirements. To be sure, please check with your business’s tax advisor, the Vermont Department of Taxes, or the IRS.

How do I know if I will owe a federal or state assessment? 

Vermont Health Connect can determine if your business is eligible to offer a Vermont Health Connect -certified small group plan to your employees. However, Vermont Health Connect doesn’t play a role in determining tax credits or assessments.

  • To find out if your business will owe a federal assessment, please contact the IRS.
  • To find out if your business will owe a state assessment, please contact the Vermont Department of Taxes.

My business employs migrant workers. What resources are available to them?

Please visit our Migrant Worker page to learn more.

Is there a State-funded broker fee reimbursement?

No subsidies are provided by the State for broker services. However, the State provides training and certification for assisters, including brokers.

Is there a cost to sign up as a small business (or just the cost of coverage)?

There are no sign-up fees or additional fees for offering a Vermont Health Connect-certified plan. You decide the level of benefits to offer to your employees and how much you want to contribute.

How do employers pay their portion of the premiums?

Employers should enroll in small group plans with their insurance company directly. Employers will make direct premium payments to their insurance company. They are: Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Vermont 1-800-255-4550 and MVP Health Care 1-844-865-0250 and Northeast Delta Dental (dental only) at 1-800-832-5700.