Important Message: To get health insurance, you must sign up during an enrollment period. Vermont Health Connect has a Special Enrollment Period open now through May 15, and uninsured Vermonters can enroll in a qualified health plan during this time. Under the American Rescue Plan Act, Vermonters can get more financial help when they enroll through Vermont Health Connect. Vermonters who have insurance directly through Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Vermont or MVP Health Care® can transfer their plan to Vermont Health Connect now to get premium tax credits. Vermonters who are eligible for Medicaid can enroll at any time.
Qualified Health Plans
Vermont Health Connect offers qualified health plans (QHP) through private health insurance companies (Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Vermont and MVP Health Care®.) Qualified health plans have a monthly premium. Eligible Vermonters can get financial help paying for a Vermont Health Connect qualified health plan—including premium tax credits and cost-sharing reductions.
You must apply for a qualified health plan during an enrollment period:
- Open Enrollment runs Nov 1-Dec 15 each year. Any eligible Vermonter can get a QHP at this time.
- At other times of year, Vermonters must have a Special Enrollment Period to get a QHP. If you have a major life event, like losing your health insurance, you could get a Special Enrollment Period.
Medicaid offers insurance for adults and children.
- You must be income-eligible to get Medicaid.
- Medicaid for adults has no monthly premium.
- Depending on household income, Medicaid for children (Dr. Dynasaur) could have a monthly premium.
- Eligible Vermonters can sign up for Medicaid any time.