Qualified Health Plans
Vermont Health Connect offers commercial health insurance known as qualified health plans (QHP) through Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Vermont (Blue Cross) and MVP Health Care® (MVP). Qualified health plans have a monthly bill called a premium. Eligible Vermonters can get financial help to help lower the cost of their qualified health plan. To get financial help, they must enroll through Vermont Health Connect.
You must apply for a qualified health plan during an enrollment period:
- Any eligible Vermonter can get a QHP during Open Enrollment, which generally begins on November 1 and runs at least 6 weeks.
- At other times of year, Vermonters must have a Special Enrollment Period to get a QHP. If you lose your health insurance or have another major life event, you could get a Special Enrollment Period.
Medicaid offers insurance for adults and children.
- You must be income-eligible to get Medicaid.
- Medicaid for adults has no monthly premium.
- Depending on household income, Medicaid for children (Dr. Dynasaur) could have a low monthly premium.
- Eligible Vermonters can sign up for Medicaid any time.