You must apply to get any kind of health insurance. You can apply for health insurance from Vermont Health Connect any time. We will check to see if you meet the rules for these programs.
Vermont Health Connect offers several kinds of health insurance.
- A Qualified Health Plan (QHP) is a health insurance plan you can buy. It includes essential health benefits, and helps pay for doctor visits, medicines, preventive care and more. If you meet these rules, most people can get help paying for a plan. These plans are offered through Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Vermont (Blue Cross) and MVP Health Care® (MVP).
- Medicaid is free, or low-cost, health coverage for Vermonters. It pays for doctor visits, medicine, hospital stays, and more. To get it, you must meet the rules on family size and household income.
- Medicaid for Children and Adults (MCA) includes Dr. Dynasaur. It is health coverage for people under 65, children under 19, pregnant people, and certain adults and parent/caretakers.
- Medicaid for Aged, Blind and Disabled (MABD) is for people who are 65 or older. It is also for people who are blind or disabled. It is offered through Green Mountain Care.
Click here to learn more about the basics of health insurance.
How to Apply
- Apply online at VermontHealthConnect.gov.
- Call us at 1-855-899-9600.
- Get help from a certified assister.
- Fill out a paper application and mail it to:
- Vermont Health Connect
Application and Document Processing Center
280 State Drive
Waterbury, VT, 05671-8100
- Vermont Health Connect
When can I get coverage?
If you meet the rules for a Medicaid program, you can get coverage any time.
For a Qualified Health Plan (QHP), there are 3 times when you can get coverage:
(1) Any time if you meet certain income rules
People who meet income and other rules can sign up or change their Plan any time. You must meet the rule to get financial help paying for a Plan. AND your income must be at or below 200% of the Federal Poverty Level
Example: In 2023, your income is at or below the 200% of the Federal Poverty Level if it is:
- At or below $27,180 a year for a single person
- At or below $36,620 a year for a couple
- At or below $55,500 a year for a family of four
(2) During Open Enrollment
Open Enrollment is from November 1 to January 15 every year. During this time, you can sign up for a new health plan. Or you can change the Plan you have.
- If you sign up by December 15, coverage begins on January 1 of the following year.
- If you sign up between December 16 and January 15, coverage begins on February 1.
(3) During SPECIAL ENROLLMENT if you have a life event
Some life events let you have a Special Enrollment Period (SEP). Most of the time, this period last 60 days after the date of the life change. For some life changes, you may apply up to 60 days before the change. During this time, you can enroll in a Qualified Health Plan. OR you can change the plan you have. Life changes include:
- Loss of health coverage, including Medicaid or Dr. Dynasaur
- Change in members of your household which can come from -
- Marriage or Divorce
- Having or adopting a child
- Changing which people you show as dependents on your tax return
- Moving to Vermont
- Change in immigration status
- Special Circumstances
So don't wait! If you miss the deadline, you may not be able to sign up until Open Enrollment.
There are other life changes that give you a Special Enrollment Period. See the full list on our qualifying life events chart.