Medicaid offers health coverage to many people—including those with low incomes and disabilities. Medicaid is run through a partnership between state and federal governments. After the Affordable Care Act was passed in 2010, Vermont expanded its Medicaid programs to cover more people.
There are different types of Medicaid. In Vermont, Medicaid is run by the Department of Vermont Health Access (DVHA) which includes Vermont Health Connect and Green Mountain Care. Medicaid covers medical care and prescriptions drugs. Learn more about all Vermont Medicaid programs. For a full list of benefits and co-pays, read the Vermont Healthcare Programs Handbook.
Vermonters who are eligible for Medicaid can enroll at any time of year. How to apply?
- Apply online at VermontHealthConnect.gov
- Call us at 1-855-899-9600
- Get help from a certified assister.
- Fill out a paper application and mail it to: Vermont Health Connect, Application and Document Processing Center, 280 State Drive, Waterbury, VT, 05671-8100
Medicaid for Children and Adults (MCA)
Medicaid for Children & Adults (MCA) includes the Dr. Dynasaur program. These programs are run by Vermont Health Connect, and offer free, or low-cost, health coverage for eligible Vermonters. Eligibility for MCA is based on family size and household income. You may be eligible for Medicaid for Adults if you:
- Are under age 65
- Are not eligible for, or enrolled in, Medicare Part A and/or enrolled in Medicare Part B
- Have household income that is at or below 133% Federal Poverty Level (FPL)
You may be eligible for Dr. Dynasaur (Medicaid for pregnant woman and children) if you are:
- A child under the age of 19 with household income below 312% FPL; or
- Pregnant with income below 208% FPL
Dr. Dynasaur is free for pregnant women with qualifying household incomes. Depending on household income and family size, Dr. Dynasaur for children under 19 may have a monthly premium up to $60 per household.
|2022 Monthly Premium Income Levels for Children Who Qualify for Dr. Dynasaur|
|Household Size*||$0 Premium||$15 premium per family per month||$20 premium per family, per month if child(ren) have other insurance. $60 premium per family, per month if child(ren) are uninsured|
Medicaid for Former Foster Care Youth
Medicaid for Former Foster Care Youth is free. It does not matter how much income you have. You may be able to get Medicaid IF you:
- Are a young adult under age 26 AND
- Were in foster care in Vermont when you were 18 or older AND
- Had Dr. Dynasaur or other Medicaid when you aged out of foster care AND
- Not eligible for or enrolled in a required Medicaid coverage group.
Medicaid for the Aged, Blind and Disabled (MABD)
Medicaid for the Aged, Blind, and Disabled (MABD) is free health coverage for individuals who are:
- Age 65 or older
- Disabled; and/or