Skip to main content

Important Message: Keep your account up to date! Some life event changes let you have a Special Enrollment Period (SEP) to sign up for a 2024 health plans, or change plans. Our Customer Support Center is open weekdays from 8am-4:30pm. Call us at 855-899-9600.

Medicaid FAQ

How much does Medicaid and Dr. Dynasaur cost every month?

Medicaid coverage is free for adults with qualifying household incomes. On Medicaid, some health care, dental care, and prescriptions require a co-pay. Learn more about Medicaid programs (Green Mountain Care) or call 1-800-250-8427 for details.

Dr. Dynasaur monthly premiums are suspended indefinitely.

I have qualified for Medicaid. Will I receive a new health plan ID card?

If you’ve had a Green Mountain Care card in the past, you can still use that card. If you need a replacement card, you can ask for one by calling toll-free 1-800-250-8427.

Vermonters who have never had a Medicaid (Green Mountain Care) card will get one in the mail. In the meantime, doctors and other providers can use your Social Security number to check your coverage.

You can read more about Medicaid coverage in the Member Handbook.

I have Medicaid for Children and Adults (MCA) but I’m about to turn 65 and start Medicare. How do I apply for Medicaid for the Aged, Blind and Disabled (MABD)? Can I get help with my application?

Anyone can apply for Medicaid at any time using the 205ALLMED application. If you are enrolled in MCA and want to apply for MABD, you can use the shorter 205SUPP application, instead.

If you need help filling out your application, please call Green Mountain Care at 1-800-250-8427 or the Senior HelpLine at 1-800-642-5119. For more information about how to get help, please review our reference guide on finding health coverage in Vermont.

How long can I stay on Medicaid?

Medicaid coverage usually lasts for one year. At the end of the year, your eligibility will be reviewed for next year’s coverage.

If you had a major life change during the year, your eligibility might be different. For example, when children turn 19, they begin to use the adult income limits instead of the income limits for children. This may change their eligibility for Medicaid as an adult. Other examples of major life changes include: starting or losing a job, moving out of state, gaining or losing a household member. Please report major life changes to Vermont Health Connect within 10 days.

What income should I enter into the application?  

Your eligibility for income-based financial help is determined by your household’s Modified Adjusted Gross Income (MAGI). The Vermont Health Connect (VHC) application will ask you about different types of income and then calculate your MAGI for you.

Please include all your taxable income, plus social security benefits and any tax-exempt interest for every household member—including people who are not applying for coverage and people who don’t file taxes.

Your household's MAGI will determine whether you are eligible for Medicaid for Children and Adults (MCA), Advance Premium Tax Credits (APTC for QHP), and cost-sharing reductions (CSR).

I am eligible for Medicaid. Do I have to take my employer’s insurance coverage?

No. If you are eligible for Medicaid, you may choose to enroll in your employer’s insurance if you want to. If you want Medicaid and your employer’s insurance, you can have both.