Skip to main content

An Official Vermont Government Website

Vermont State Logo

Important Message: To get health insurance, you must sign up during an enrollment period. Vermont Health Connect has a Special Enrollment Period open now through October 1, and uninsured Vermonters can enroll in a qualified health plan during this time. Under the American Rescue Plan Act, Vermonters can get more financial help when they enroll through Vermont Health Connect. Vermonters who have insurance directly through Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Vermont or MVP Health Care® can transfer their plan to Vermont Health Connect now to get premium tax credits.  Vermonters who are eligible for Medicaid can enroll at any time.

Transgender Applicants

Transgender is frequently used as an umbrella term to refer to all people whose gender does not align with the sex they were assigned at birth. Transgender people have important details to consider when applying for health insurance in Vermont. Below you will find recommendations for applying for health care coverage in Vermont.

Applying for Vermont Health Care Coverage

When you apply for coverage as a transgender person, you should use the first, middle, and last name that are on your Social Security card. If you get a letter saying VHC could not verify information in your application because your name doesn’t match the name on file with the Social Security Administration (SSA), you can go back to your application and update your name or call Customer Service at 1-855-899-9600 for support. You may be asked to send a copy of your Social Security card or other documents if information doesn’t match.

On your application, it’s also recommended that you select the sex listed on the majority of your other legal documents. Vermont Health Connect (VHC) doesn’t check an applicant’s sex against any other government record, including SSA, for purposes of determining eligibility. However, sex must be filled out on applications for purposes of processing health care claims. Note: The information you put on your application will go to your health insurance company.

If you go through a name change or change the sex listed on your legal documents after you enroll, you should then update the information by calling Customer Service at 1-855-899-9600.