Skip to main content

Important Message: Keep your account up to date! Some life event changes let you have a Special Enrollment Period (SEP) to sign up for a 2024 health plans, or change plans. Our Customer Support Center is open weekdays from 8am-4:30pm. Call us at 855-899-9600.

Report a Change FAQ

Last week I got a raise. Am I supposed to report this and, if so, how?

Yes, changes of income can change the amount of financial help that you can get, so it's very important to report these. If you forget to report a change of income, you might have to pay back some of your financial help when you file your taxes. You can report income changes through Vermont Health Connect’s secure online portal, or by calling our Customer Support Center at 1-855-899-9600.

If my income changes mid-year, can my premium change?

If you have a qualified health plan (QHP) through Vermont Health Connect, your plan’s premium can’t change during the plan year. However, if you have a major life event, the amount of financial help you can get might change.  If you get less financial help, you may pay more of your monthly premium than you used to.

If you are getting financial help, such as advance premium tax credits (APTC), and the income you report on your federal taxes is higher than the income you reported to Vermont Health Connect, you might have to pay back some of your APTC when you file federal income taxes. To avoid this, it’s important to report any major life events to Vermont Health Connect within 30 days.

Vermonters who have Medicaid coverage should report major life events to Vermont Health Connect within 10 days.

I added a family member to my health plan but haven’t received new ID cards. This person needs to see a doctor and fill a prescription. What should I do?

If you added a family member to your health plan and that person needs immediate care, please call us at 1-855-899-9600. We’ll work with your health insurance company so your household member can get the care they need. We will do our best to make sure health coverage is in place within 72 business hours.

What if I report a change that makes my monthly invoice amount different?

To keep your coverage active, please continue to pay your full premium by the due date. Be sure to read your invoices every month to find out how much you owe.

What types of life events can open a Special Enrollment Period?

There are many life events that can open a Special Enrollment Period (SEP). An SEP lets you enroll in a Vermont Health Connect plan, or change plans, outside of Open Enrollment. There are different types of SEPs. Each SEP has different rules that you must meet to be eligible.

  • One type of SEP is ongoing. New or existing customers who meet certain income requirements can sign up for coverage or change their health plan anytime.
  • Other types of SEPs may open due to certain events. Some of these events include marriage, divorce, having or adopting a child or losing other health care. These SEPs have a time limit. You must enroll within 60 days of the qualifying event to use these SEPs.

Some of the most common types of qualifying events include:

  • Losing health insurance
  • Getting married/divorced
  • Birth or adoption
  • Permanent move to VT