Skip to main content

An Official Vermont Government Website

Vermont State Logo

Important Message: Do we have your correct address? Keep all your contact details up to date so we can get important information about changes to your health insurance. Please check your information online or call us at 1-855-899-9600.

Tax Form 1095B FAQ

What health insurance coverage forms will I get for tax filing if I have Medicaid?

You will receive Form 1095-B if you had Medicaid coverage.

Vermont Health Connect and other government agencies send Form 1095-B to show the months when you had minimum essential coverage (MEC) through Medicaid, Dr. Dynasaur and/or Refugee Medical Assistance. 

Form 1095-B is also sent to the IRS for reporting purposes.

What do I need to do with Form 1095‐B?

You don’t need Form 1095-B to file federal taxes. If you file Vermont state taxes you will need to report the months that you had health coverage, which you can find on your Form 1095-B. Form 1095-B is your proof of qualifying health coverage for each month you had it. You should keep your 1095-B with your tax records.

Do I need to wait until I receive Form 1095‐B to file my federal taxes?

No. You don’t need to wait until you receive the form before you file your federal taxes.

Do I need to wait until I receive Form 1095B to file my State of Vermont taxes?

No. You don’t need to wait until you receive the form 1095-B to file your state taxes. But, you can use Form 1095B when filling out your state tax forms to indicate which months you had health coverage.

I received Form 1095‐B but I don’t normally file taxes. Do I need to file taxes now?

Receiving Form 1095-B doesn’t mean you need to file taxes. The Internal Revenue Service can help you decide whether you must file a tax return. You can also visit, or call 2-1-1 anywhere in Vermont. Vermont 211 can give you information about online help, people you can call, and people you can meet with to talk about whether you should file taxes.  

What if my Form 1095‐B shows Medicaid/Dr. Dynasaur coverage for different months than I thought I had it? 

If you think the coverage months on your 1095-B are wrong, call Vermont Health Connect at 1-855-899-9600. 

I experienced a life change during the year but didn’t report it.  Now that the calendar year is over, what should I do?

Life events include getting married, having a baby, becoming a U.S. citizen, adopting a child and other changes to your household size or income.  If you have Medicaid, Vermonters should report life changes to Vermont Health Connect within 10 days. That way, you will get the coverage that’s right for you and the right information for tax filing.  

If you didn’t report the change during the year, report it now to make sure your coverage is correct for the following year. Changes to your last name, social security number, or date of birth will mean you need a new Form 1095-B.

Why can’t I correct the Form 1095‐B myself?

Form 1095-B is sent directly to the IRS from Vermont Health Connect. Please report any changes to Vermont Health Connect so we can update your 1095-B and send it to the IRS.

What if I think I should have received a 1095‐B but did not?

Call Vermont Health Connect at 1‐855‐899‐9600.