Get Help Filing Taxes
In order to get financial help from Vermont Health Connect, you must file taxes. Many people can get free help filing their tax returns:
- Visit the Internal Revenue Service (IRS).
- Visit HealthCare.gov/taxes to get information about how to reconcile your advance premium tax credits (APTC) when you file your federal taxes.
- Visit Vermont 2-1-1. Vermont 2-1-1 can refer eligible Vermonters who live in Chittenden County to free help filing tax returns:
- Dial 211 on a cell phone or landline. If you can’t reach Vermont 2-1-1 on your cell phone, turn off your Wi-Fi and try again. Or call with the numbers below.
- Call 1-866-652-4636 toll-free from inside Vermont.
- Call 1-802-652-4636 from inside or outside of Vermont.
- Text your zip code to 898211 from anywhere.
Please note: Vermont 2-1-1 offers Vermonters many types of referrals or services throughout Vermont:
- Call Vermont 2-1-1 any time.
- Send a text to Vermont 2-1-1 Monday through Friday from 8AM to 8PM.
Help With the 1095-A Form
Every Vermonter with a qualified health plan (QHP) receives a 1095-A form at the end of the year. You need the information on your 1095-A to complete Form 8962 and reconcile your APTC for the year. You must reconcile your APTC each year to be eligible for APTC when you renew your QHP coverage.
The IRS offers help filing taxes with a 1095-A form and answers to questions about the 1095-A form:
- To get help filing a household tax return, call 1-800-829-1040.
- To get help filing a business tax return, call 1-800-829-4933.
Call the Tax Help Line Monday through Friday from 7AM to 7PM.
To get more help, call Vermont’s Health Care Advocate HelpLine at 1-800-917-7787.
Tax Filing Extensions
April 15 is the deadline to file federal and state tax returns, but you may be able to get an extension if you ask for one:
More information about taxes and help paying costs:
- What You Need to Know if You Get a Letter in the Mail from the IRS
- Questions and Answers from the IRS about Health Care Information Forms for Individuals
- Income Reporting and APTC Repayment Limits