Skip to main content

Important Message: Keep your account up to date! Some life event changes let you have a Special Enrollment Period (SEP) to sign up for a 2024 health plans, or change plans. Our Customer Support Center is open weekdays from 8am-4:30pm. Call us at 855-899-9600.

Tax Help and Extensions

Get Help Filing Taxes

In order to get financial help from Vermont Health Connect, you must file taxes. Many people can get free help filing their tax returns:

  • Visit the Internal Revenue Service (IRS). 
  • Visit to get information about how to reconcile your advance premium tax credits (APTC) when you file your federal taxes.
  • Visit Vermont 2-1-1. Vermont 2-1-1 can refer eligible Vermonters who live in Chittenden County to free help filing tax returns:
    • Dial 211 on a cell phone or landline. If you can’t reach Vermont 2-1-1 on your cell phone, turn off your Wi-Fi and try again. Or call with the numbers below.
    • Call 1-866-652-4636 toll-free from inside Vermont.
    • Call 1-802-652-4636 from inside or outside of Vermont.
    • Text your zip code to 898211 from anywhere.

Please note: Vermont 2-1-1 offers Vermonters many types of referrals or services throughout Vermont:

  • Call Vermont 2-1-1 any time. 
  • Send a text to Vermont 2-1-1 Monday through Friday from 8AM to 8PM.

Help With the 1095-A Form

Every Vermonter with a qualified health plan (QHP) receives a 1095-A form at the end of the year.  You need the information on your 1095-A to complete Form 8962 and reconcile your APTC for the year.  You must reconcile your APTC each year to be eligible for APTC when you renew your QHP coverage. Beginning this year (filing 2023 taxes), the IRS will be rejected tax returns for not including Form 8962. Read more about how correct your tax return.

The IRS offers help filing taxes with a 1095-A form and answers to questions about the 1095-A form:

  • To get help filing a household tax return, call 1-800-829-1040. 
  • To get help filing a business tax return, call 1-800-829-4933.

Call the Tax Help Line Monday through Friday from 7AM to 7PM.

To get more help, call Vermont’s Health Care Advocate HelpLine at 1-800-917-7787.

Tax Filing Extensions

April 15 is the deadline to file federal and state tax returns, but you may be able to get an extension if you ask for one:

More information about taxes and help paying costs: